There are several ongoing animal issues that could be greatly impacted by actions in Congress this year. In the current political climate, anything is possible, so it’s important to make your Senators and Representative aware of legislation and initiatives that can benefit animals.
You can start by taking action today!
Key bills that could help animals in labs:
- Humane Cosmetics Act – ban animal tested cosmetics
- BEST Practices Act – combat trauma training without animals
- Pet Safety and Protection Act – dealers cannot sell dogs and cats from shelters to labs
- PUPPERS Act – end the VA’s use of dogs in painful experiments
- Animals Welfare Accountability and Transparency Act – require USDA to make legal info and reports publicly available
The budget bill Congress is currently reviewing also has some important provisions to help animals, like continued funding for the care of chimpanzees retired from government research and the development of non-animal chemical safety tests and other alternatives.
Remember, animal issues are bipartisan, so please contact your legislators, regardless of their party affiliation. If we all make our individual voices heard, together we’ll send a loud and strong message to Congress that animals matter and deserve protection.