Support Our Mission
Current Job Openings
Assistant Director, Animalearn
Join the Team! Who we are:
Animalearn advances humane science education by building awareness about harmful animal use in the classroom and helping to nurture respect for all creatures. Animalearn helps both educators and students, from kindergarten to post-grads, find the most effective humane methods to study science. Animalearn operates a free dissection alternatives loan program, The Science Bank (TSB), which circulates hundreds of high-quality, animal-friendly humane science education products, and curates web-based and technologically advanced alternatives. Animalearn makes annual awards to recognize humane educators and students, and tell their stories, showing how humane science education can be achieved.
Animalearn has served thousands of people and participates in science education conferences and in professional associations working to make education more humane.
With longtime dedicated staff, there is now a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with skills and experience to join the Animalearn team as Assistant Director. The new Assistant Director will join a collaborative animal advocacy environment that places high value on personal and organizational integrity, mutual support and cooperation, respectful communications, constructive engagement, and commitment to productivity–all to achieve meaningful, lasting change for animals.
Managing Animalearn’s signature program, The Science Bank
- Product selection and purchasing, relationship-building with companies
- Working with teachers and students to select educational products
- Processing orders placed through TSB’s Shopify site, including shipping, receiving, and tracking inventory.
- Marketing The Science Bank program in-person at local and national conferences, and through outreach, including advertising, social media, and other promotional activities.
- Working with Animalearn Director to plan and execute ongoing activities and special projects of the department, such as the Humane Educator of the Year Award, Animalearn Philly Schools Project, and workshops at conferences.
- Writing website content, articles for print newsletters or magazines, e-mail newsletters, social media posts, and management reports.
- Responding to inquiries to assist students and others.
- Highly developed professional communications skills, both written and interpersonal, are a must.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and responsible, able to work independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge and proficiency with technology, including Microsoft Office applications, web tools, social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communications, Science or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in an office environment.
- Passionate about animal protection and dedicated to making positive change.
Full time position. Requires working on site in Jenkintown and some travel. Salary commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
To Apply: Provide resume and cover letter explaining interest to firstname.lastname@example.org, “Attn: Office Manager, Assistant Director, Animalearn” in the subject line.
Deadline: Thursday, April 14, 2022
Start date: Monday, May 9, 2022 (or sooner)
Animalearn is a division of the American Anti-Vivisection Society (AAVS) in Jenkintown, PA. Founded in 1883, AAVS was the first non-profit animal advocacy and educational organization in the United States dedicated to ending experimentation on animals in research, testing, and education. AAVS works to legally and effectively end the use of animals in science through education, advocacy, and the development of alternative methods to animal use.
AAVS is an equal opportunity employer. The information contained in this announcement is subject to change, including the deadline for application and start date. If a candidate is interested in the position, they are encouraged to apply as soon as possible since the vacancy will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been identified and the employment process, including criminal background check, is complete.